Make a Dragon Fly from a Wooden Ice Cream Stick
This is a great activity for all ages and abilities.
These beautiful dragonflies are made from wooden ice cream sticks and are super easy.
Start saving those ice cream sticks and Get Your Creative On!
(You can buy the sticks in bulk too but eating the ice cream is the best part. 😉
Materials for 1 dragonfly
- 3 wooden bow tie ice cream sticks
- white glue
- acrylic paint (or whatever kid-friendly paint you have on hand)
- paint brushes
- Start with 3 bow tie ice cream sticks. Cut one stick in half. Score the wood on both sides with scissors and bend it to break the stick in half. Trim off any splintery bits with the scissors. (Use one stick for the body, one for the front wings, one, cut into two, for the back wings.)
OPTIONAL: To add more shape to your dragonfly’s body, trim the tail end with scissors to make it narrower and more dragonfly-like. Use a nail file or sandpaper to round and shape the edges of the sticks for a smoother look.
2. Glue the front wings to the body stick leaving enough of the rounded end sticking out for the dragon fly’s head. Glue the cut sticks at a slight angle from each other to create the bottom wings.
3. When the glue is dry it’s time to paint them. Choose your favourite colours and paint them with whatever designs you like.
OPTIONAL: To turn your dragonfly into a beautiful fridge magnet, glue a magnet to the underside and viola! Remember to wait for the glue to dry before you put it on the fridge.
What are you waiting for? Get your creative on!
If your try this project we’d love to see a photo. Post a picture of your masterpiece on Nana’s Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/GetCreativeWithNana